Saturday, November 29, 2014

Jon's Reflections On Sandy At The Celebration Service


Sandy and I met when I was 21 and she was 17.  We met in September.  I had just graduated from the University of La Verne and Sandy from Wilson High School.  I was working at William Pitt Jewelers in the Puente Hills Mall, and Sandy and her mom Judi were shopping for a ring for her 18th birthday coming up in a couple of weeks.  I had just moved into Hacienda Heights, and was getting ready to start Law School at Southwestern University in Los Angeles.  Judi likes to embellish the story and say that I jumped over the counter to get to them.  I like to tease Judi by telling her that once she found out I was a Law School Student, she was quick to put the ring on lay-a-way so that I would have Sandy’s number!  The truth is probably somewhere in the middle – I did hustle in those days as I do now, knowing I wasn’t the best salesperson, student, or athlete – but that I could outwork my peers and try to help everyone first who came into the store!  Regardless, the spark was there and Judi did put the ring on lay-a-way so that I had Sandy’s phone number.  When Judi came to pick up the ring I gave her a cheesy plastic flower to give to Sandy, and I did indeed call Sandy on her birthday to wish her a Happy Birthday and to ask her out!  On our first date, which was on September 27th – our Wedding Anniversary – we went to the movies.  After I dropped her off I drove about a half a mile, and then my crummy car broke down.  I went back to Sandy’s house, but Sandy wouldn’t come to the door because she had already taken off her make up!  Her dad Marv then helped me with the car.  Little did Marv know that it was just the first of many times he would be helping me with car and mechanical issues!  We dated for 3 years before we got engaged, and then a year later got married on September 27th, 1986.  I had flunked out of Law School by then, but managed to get my MBA.  Sandy would say she married her bad boy – I would simply say I was just a poor kid from Baldwin Park, and a little rough around the edges.  She might have been right.  While we were dating and first married, we attended Hacienda Heights Baptist Church, Sandy’s home Church.  We grew in our faith, (mine having been pretty weak) and in our marriage.  Dr. Bill Tipton and his wife Cathye were instrumental in our growth.  We ate a lot of top Raman and Ragu – for entertainment we would have friends over for pizza and a movie, or we would be playing basketball, volleyball, or softball on a HHBC team.  Sandy would never enjoy the car rides home when we lost, and was always trying to refine my language by instituting monetary fines – that didn’t go over very well, but it did help us save money.  I started with Allstate the same year we were married.  Eventually she started working with Libbey Glass in the accounting department.  We struggled in an apartment for two years, and at one point couldn’t save money fast enough to keep pace with the rising cost of buying a house in the late 80’s.  I distinctly remember opening the fridge one time and there was nothing in it but a pitcher of water.  We bought our first house in Rowland Heights that was for sale by owner – I think he felt sorry for us, and wanted his house to go to this poor young couple.  It needed so much work – you should have seen Marv’s face when we showed it to him!  Family and friends worked right alongside with us to fix the house up.  2 years later we sold it and moved to La Verne – a place I loved since college.  It was right around this time we were invited to Glenkirk by Cindy Axton who was Sandy’s boss at Libbey Glass.  Well, you more or less know the rest……….

Sandy is the most courageous and inspiring person I ever met.  I have never met anyone who lived her faith like she did.  She wasn’t a perfect person, but she was genuine.  She was tough.  Tough beyond description – there was a lot of pain that others just didn’t see.  Her attitude and her faith in the face of her cancer were incredible.  She felt that this was her God given purpose in life – to encourage and inspire others, and to share the good news about Jesus Christ with others through her cancer.  She loved her children, her family, and her friends deeply – but honestly, she loved Jesus Christ more.  I know that’s going to bother some people – sometimes it bothered me.  (Usually when I was doing the dishes or the laundry, and she was working on her Blog!)  Sandy had her priorities straight – she knew the difference between what was important and what was merely urgent.  She worked very hard at not playing “the cancer card” and keeping things as normal as possible, for as long as possible.  There is not a lot that I could have you say that others won’t be mentioning today about Sandy, and some things are just meant to be private.  I do want you to tell people not to feel sorry for my family.  We have been extremely blessed.  We have had a great marriage, and great experiences.  We have been blessed with two great children whose character and personality have been forever etched by Sandy.  If you miss Sandy, look no further than to my girls.  There you will find her.  We have had fun.  Yes, even with the cancer.  Sandy and I could always find something funny about her conditions or treatments – there was humor and laughter everywhere we looked.  We have had a great life together, yet we know that we are just passing through this one.  Better things await the believer, and as usual, Sandy is leading the way for me……...
Jon