Friday, July 2, 2010

America's Foundation

Did you know that 24 out of the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence held seminary or Bible school degrees? No one can ever deny that the founding fathers of the United States of America were men of deep religious convictions based in the Bible. Look at this famous letter of John Adams’ to his wife Abigail on July 3, 1776 (original spelling) :

“The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.”
(The Book of Abigail and John: Selected Letters of the Adams Family, 1762-1784, Harvard University Press, 1975, 142).

Independence Day came about because of the “acts of devotion to God Almighty” that John Adams wrote about. The events the led to the signing of the Declaration of Independence were guided by God, and the founding fathers knew it.

There is another freedom that we enjoy on a daily basis. It is the freedom to live forgiven and cleansed of sin because of the price that was paid for us by Jesus Christ. I found this prayer (author unknown) that puts into words the cry of my heart this year as I think of what it means to celebrate on July 4th.

Dear Lord,

There is no greater feeling of liberation than to experience this freedom from sin and death that you have provided for me through Jesus Christ. Today my heart and my soul are free to praise you. For this I am very thankful.

On this Independence Day I am reminded of all those who have sacrificed for my freedom, following the example of your Son, Jesus Christ. Let me not take my freedom, both physical and spiritual, for granted. May I always remember that my freedom was purchases with a very high price. My freedom cost others their very lives.

Lord, today, bless those who have served and continue to give their lives for my freedom. With favor and bounty meet their needs and watch over their families.

Help me to live my life in a way that glorifies you, Lord. Give me the strength to be a blessing in someone else's life today, and grant me the opportunity to lead others into the freedom that can be found in knowing Christ.

Amen