Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Getting Answers

I have been anxious for this day to come, because I have had some questions that needed answers. Last week I had three very important tests, and today Jon and I met with my Oncologist to discuss the results. Many of the answers to my questions came last night when my doctor called to tell me the results. She said that the sonogram showed that the tumor had shrunk 2 millimeters. Good news. The CT Scan showed no cancer in any of my organs. Good news. The Bone Scan showed an "uptake" as compared to the last bone scan I had. That was not good news to me because I had higher expectations for this scan. I did not want them to see anything at all. I was disappointed.

Today when we met with my doctor, the news became much brighter. She explained that the Bone Scan shows a change in the bone from the previous scan. Since the CT Scan shows that cancer has not spread to my organs, the "uptake" on the bone scan most likely means healing is taking place in the bone. When a technician knows that the patient has metastatic cancer, they assume that the change they see on the scan is cancer, but in fact it could be that the bones look different because of healing.

Bottom line, everything is going as planned. I am feeling good, except for my achy arm, and the treatment is working. My doctor still thinks it is best to leave the cancer in the breast for now. The cancer is being held back to just the bone. Jon and I both walked away feeling more confident and at peace. We had lots of questions, and they all got answered.

Thank you for all of your prayers. We really feel them. I am constantly amazed at how many people check up on my progress and care about my family. I think prayer is the most powerful tool we have.

God Bless,
Sandy