Thursday, November 29, 2007

Being Honest

Sometimes I fear that I have had my one moment of greatness where I said what was on my heart, was bold in my faith, and my inner light shined for Christ. Here I sit wondering if I am capable of keeping this up. Wisdom has never been my strength. Why would God put me in this place when He knows I am not disciplined and strong?

Sometimes I go for days feeling normal. The problem with being normal is that I have had a taste of something so great and inspired by the hand of God, that I said to myself months ago, "I never wanted to go back to what I was before." I let things get in the way of my communication with God. Sleeping in an extra five minutes. Not making quality time for reading my Bible. Thinking I will pray later, and never getting around to it. Doing a short prayer, and it only consists of request for me. Being overwhelmed with stuff (Christmas), and not really getting what I need most out of my day.

Yesterday in Bible Study we studied Paul. No person, apart from Jesus, shaped the history of Christianity like Paul. Here is what Paul wrote in Romans 7:14 - 20

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do... I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but can't carry it out...

Wow, does that sound familiar? That is written by someone that was so overcome by God's grace he turned away from everything he had (wealth, status) and served Christ the rest of his life, which meant prison for the most part. You mean to tell me that Paul felt like I do right now? Paul continues to write about sinful nature, and then look what he says in Romans 8:26

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express...

I just need to be me, and the Holy Spirit will reveal to me through the word of God, what it is that I need to make me strong. This morning I got up an earlier than usual, and true to His word, God had something to say to me that lifted a great burden off of my shoulders. He reminded me that His grace is sufficient for me, and that by His power alone my weaknesses will be used for His glory.

I like that!
Sandy