Monday, May 19, 2014

An Update

There have been a few fun and personal events in my life this past week (or more).  My Girl Scout Troop (9 years) were awarded their Silver Award in a very special ceremony Tuesday, May 13.  I was able to talk about their achievement in front of an auditorium of parents and Girl Scout dignitaries.  In order to walk up the six stairs and talk in front of 500 people, I had to have my lung drained of 1,100 ml so I could breathe.  Crazy, but got it done!

My second big event was Saturday night when the Girl Scout Troop had a wonderful family dinner at the home of our friends, the Hollars.  It was a beautiful night, and God was very gracious in giving me the strength to speak in front of parents and grandparents about the honor it has been for me to be the Leader of their girls since kindergarten.  This night was the official end of the Girl Scout Troop for me.  I talked for awhile about the fun we had, and we all laughed and cried together.  At the end of my little talk, I was able to empower the girls to go forward with faith.  I hope that when they think of me, they will always think of a woman of faith, and I want them to grow their own faith by trusting God at all times and turning to Him in all circumstances. 

On the health front, things have been a little frustrating.  I have started having sporadic headaches starting two weeks ago in my left temple.  The last time I had headaches like this was on my right side and I had to have radiation.  On Mother's Day evening I had a migraine, and two days later I had another migraine, and last week I was waking up with a headache.  This has been concerning, to say the least, and we are looking into a brain MRI to see what this means for the future.  Two of the severe headaches seem to set off some sharp tingling in my mouth that felt like shingles, which was really upsetting.  I am told it is just nerve related pain from what is happening in left temple.

I am also frustrated with enlargement of liver, which makes me look very bloated and sometimes pushes on other organs and causes discomfort.  Also, I had a really bad charley horse in my right leg and I am hobbling around like a peg-leg pirate. 

Meanwhile, I just want to get to Hawaii in a month and be with my family.  It is my greatest prayer and hope to make it through graduation week (June 1-7) and leave for Hawaii on June 20th.  I don't know why these things keep coming up, but I pray every day that God would just stabilize me and let me be able to travel.  Sometimes it is really hard to see God's work in things when they are not going the way you think they should.  Trust...Obey...Faith...Hope...I'm still there and leaning on the everlasting arms.

So, you know how to pray for me.  I am starting a chemo that I was on well over a year ago.  The biopsy came back and said it was the best one for me.  Let's hope it has minimum side effects and does some major shrinking of tumors in the next month.

Blessings,
Sandy