Sunday, April 13, 2014

24 Hour Prayer

I want to thank you for the enormous amount of love and prayer you have given me this week.  Many are asking how the girls are doing.  I think we have had some meaningful conversations, and we have also kept it light around here.  We need to laugh, and so we find moments each day to do so. 

After my post last week, I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the many messages posted on my Facebook and Blog.  I must tell you that I read them all with tears flowing like a waterfall, and I am so humbled and blessed to be a part of your lives in a way that has reflected back to Jesus.  I love the way that God has allowed me to write this Blog, and gave me this ministry to bring purpose for me and hope for you.

One of the really beautiful gifts that came from this week was a 24 hour prayer chain that my Women's Bible Study started.  To stop and think that someone is praying for me each minute of the day is so empowering.  Last night I woke up with a little foot cramp.  I did not want to wake Jon so I quietly sat on the edge of our bed trying to relax and work it out.  I looked at the clock and thought, "Someone right now is praying for me at 3am."  I started praying myself, knowing that God's Word says that when two or three are gathered in His name, He is there.  I felt God's peace and comfort that I was not alone. 

I am sure that the "why" question is on all of our minds.  Why has God not saved Sandy from pain? Why would God take Sandy from her family?  Why does there have to be cancer and suffering?

I am learning that instead of asking God “Why?” you need to learn to trust God in things you don’t understand.

For 37 chapters in the book of Job, Job asks the “why” questions: “Why is this happening to me? Why are you allowing this? Why so much pain? Why so much discomfort? Why haven’t you answered my prayers?”

In chapter 38, Job stops asking “why.” And God says, “Now I’d like to ask you a few questions.” And for the next two chapters, God hits Job with questions that only God can answer.
He asks things like, “Where were you when I made the universe? Can you explain the law of gravity?” And, after two chapters, Job realizes that he is just a man, and his knowledge is limited. Who is he to question God?

Job stops questioning, and he starts trusting. He replied to the Lord, “I know that you can do anything, and no one can stop you. You asked, ‘Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?’ It is I — and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me.… I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance” (Job 42:1-3, 6 NLT).

What do you do when you can’t see the whole picture, things aren’t clear, and it makes no sense to you what’s happening?

I don’t know what you’re dealing with in your life, but I will tell you this: God is passionately and intimately aware of every detail that you’re going through right now. He’s paying attention to your every breath. Nothing gets by God’s attention.

You may not understand why you’re going through what you’re going through, but you need to say this to God: “I know you’re good; I know you’re loving; I know you’re powerful; I know you notice the details of my life; I know you’re in control; I know you have a plan; I know you will protect me.” Then, you need to trust God — no matter what.

I find that my biggest challenge is living with hope that God can do the impossible at any moment, but being responsible for my family and the many ways that I run my house, pay bills, and other tasks that must be handed off to others if God's will is to take me home.  It is a surreal place to be.
                  
 I am writing this Blog on Palm Sunday.  This is an important day to recognize because Jesus was entering Jerusalem for Passover with much praise, and the hope of many Jews that he would deliver them from the Romans.  By the end of the week the disciples will have lots of "why" questions.  Jesus tried to prepare them, but they just were not getting the picture.  By Friday, they felt disillusioned and scared, and nothing made sense anymore.  How could they ever know that Sunday was coming?  Not in a million years would they imagine the unimaginable and impossible resurrection! 

I hope you get a chance this week to ponder the events that led to the crucifixion and Jesus' death on the cross for all of our sins.  God had said that our sinful ways had a consequence, and God does not lie.  Jesus came clean and pure, a lamb without blemish, to be take on the penalty of death for all of us.  In the biggest act of love ever recorded, Jesus became our substitute so that we would never have to enter the depths of hell for our sins. 

This is my story, this is my song, praising my Savior all the day long...this is why I walk the path I walk.  I have nothing but gratitude that God loved us all so very much.  I trust that every day He makes decisions on my behalf out of love for me. 

Blessings,
Sandy