Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Looking Forward With Hope, and Standing on God's Promises

No, this picture is not of Samuel Adams Beer.  It is the fluid that was taken out of the lining of my lung over a week ago!  Crazy!  I was having trouble catching a good breath, and so an x-ray was done and they saw the fluid.  The City of Hope doctors jumped right on it and did a procedure right in the office to remove the fluid.  No wonder I could not sleep flat! 




Now that I am breathing much better, I have been working with my doctors to take care of pain issues and other test results that have brought things to light.  The MRI showed that the metastasis in my shoulder has increased dramatically, which is why the pain is so intense in that area.  A CT Scan showed an increase of lesions in the liver.  The fluid that was taken from my lung is from my lymph nodes.  So, there is much to pray about.

Today I start a new chemotherapy and I feel really hopeful that it will shrink liver lesions and lymph nodes.  It should also help shrink the tumors in my shoulder and give me some relief.  The chemo I was on did a lot of good for me for about five months, but now it is time to move on.  My options are few, so I need lots of prayer support that this treatment will give good results, and for a long time.

I want to say that the peace that only comes from faith and hope in Jesus is sustaining me now.  I am not walking around in fear or anxiety.  I know that God is at work day and night on my behalf.  I am reminded over and over of His purpose in my suffering.  When I was diagnosed, God gave me two verses right away, AND A MOTTO, and I stand on these promises.


And we know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  Rom. 8:28

“Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you,”  So we say with confidence, the Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid, what can man do to me?   Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.  Heb. 13:5,8.
 
God is at His best when life is at its worst
(From a Sunday School Lesson I taught three days after being diagnosed)

Every morning I have time with my Savior, Healer and Redeemer.  I pray these promises and more.  God is not silent.  The Bible is not outdated.  There are hundreds of verses in the Word of God that tell of God's power to do more than we can imagine.  These verses are for us to claim!

Here are some more verses that I love and put my hope in:

“If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can move mountains (cancer/anxiety).  Nothing will be impossible for you.”  Matthew 17:20 

“If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”  Matthew 21:22 


“Daughter, your faith has healed you, go in peace and be freed from your suffering.”  Mark 5:27-34.

“I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, “go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him.  Therefore, I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.”  Mark 11:23-34. 

“Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever, Amen.”  Eph. 3:20 

Find rest, oh my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.  Psalms 62:5-7 


Rejoice in the Lord always, I will say it again:  Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Phil. 4:4-7.
 
These verses are for any situation you are facing!  discouragement, broken relationships, loss of income, grief...  We have a God who loves us and wants to grow our relationship with Him.  All of these verses confirm that a personal relationship with Him has huge benefits.  If you are walking in step with Jesus, then these verses really come to life and become promises you can count on.
 
I am not living in fear, but with great hope that the new chemo will provide great results in reducing my current pain.  More importantly, I am confident that Jesus will do immeasurably more than any of us can imagine by restoring my health through healing.
 
Thank you for your prayers!
Sandy